Thursday 14 May 2015

Poor Tom’s A-cold

Where do you sleep at night?I asked him.
He looked so tired. With his
Blond beard, blue eyes (good teeth),
He could have been a young crusader
In his stony niche,
Huddled in a sleeping bag cloak.
His boots were in good shape.
In the Roodee car park mostly, he said
It’s drier under the cars.
What happened to you, Tom?
He talks of a break-up with his girlfriend,
Loss of his job and flat.
I had a car once, he tells me.
Four months sanction means
He will be living rough through the bitter winter months.
“Regrettably there are reduced places for the homeless due to cuts.”
I fetch him a pastry from the Tesco Express.
Come Christmas though, the Hospice will give me a hot meal,
And a shower; I do want my dignity.
I told him, I’ll come back.
But he was gone, moved on
By the police with new instructions:
“No homeless to be seen in the city centre.”

We are proud of our historical city, and
Its many tourist attractions:
Our wonderful heritage.

Lisa Rossetti

May 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment