Monday 15 June 2015

Capable (for Jacqueline Harris)

Am I capable of what?
Of catching what?
A bus?
I'm sorry. I'm not sure I understand you.
Haven't I just told you of the pain I am in daily,
how I have to school myself to bear it,
how it eats away at the edges of my life
while my courage shrinks smaller every day?
I have such pain in my back,
and in these poor hands of mine;
and my eyesight, too, is failing.
A bus, you say.
I do not understand you.
What is it you would have me do?
Work? Yes I used to work.
Until my body was pressed
past all enduring.
I was a nurse. Yes.
There was a fall. At work.
My life was much altered that day.
Now you come at me with questions
I do not understand.
Have you not heard 
what I have told you?
Am I capable of catching a bus?
Are you capable of feeling 
compassion?
Are you capable of human kindness?
Are you capable 
of love?

Abigail Ottley Wyatt, June, 2015





http://rt.com/uk/209731-suicide-woman-benefit-axed/#.VXv-lifDZzA.facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment